Char in summer

Char in summer
New dressage horse

Thursday, February 21, 2008

SWAP SEWING FINALLY

--Back again after a weekend of making muslins and starting my second garment: McCalls 2401 is a classic sheath dress with variations in neckline. I chose View F' the sleeveless version to make up in the Missoni-like highly textured knit from my stash. I decided that since it has a very wide stripe, I would use the fabric horizontally (I know, I know... horizontal stripes add width..but in this case I think it will be balanced out by the lower hemline!).--First: a confession: in cutting out I laid out my fabric carefully and ensured the stripes matched on the sideseams...only to doscover I HAD FORGOTTEN TO FOLD THE DART ON THE FRONT FIRST !! OH, Ugh !!--So I had to take extra time to slide up the Back to match the stripes, then carefully slit and take up a narrow seam in the top back ( the green stripe)to match the side seams and compensate for the bust darts. Then I had to re-mark the long back darts proportionately...luckily the fabric is heavily textured, so the seams look more "decorative" than strange..but what a lesson to learn!!
The companion piece to the dress will be a simple cardigan made of a shell-pink cotton rib knit, using leftover scraps of the novelty knit for the front bands. I purchased Butterick 4740 for this simple garment. Itt has loads of potential for wovens.
--I also have a working muslin ready for my Wrap Front Blouse..
---At this point I would like to thank my very good friend/ fellow seamstress Cathy for all her help with pinning and fitting--Cathy without you I would have real problems getting a good fit on my "tops". I will pay it back by cleaning out goat pens!!!

No comments:

SWAP COMPOSITE

SWAP COMPOSITE
all pieces minus purchased shirt