Char in summer

Char in summer
New dressage horse

Saturday, February 9, 2008

WARDROBE REFASHION...........

I have started posting on the Wardrobe Refashion site..I signed up for SIX MONTHS....i.e. I pledged to not buy any clothing from retail for six months..to thrift and refashion as much as possible..quite tough I think but I have been "in training" since early December! The more I research and read up on ReFashion..the more inspired and excited I get. Excellent books on ReFashion I have picked up....
1. RECONSTRUCTING CLOTHES FOR DUMMIES---Miranda Caroligne Burns:
Took me from trepidation to tearing into sweaters to refashion into skirts..so easy and so fab!
2.ALTER NATION----Shannon Okey and Alexandra Underhill:'
carries the theme into altering wovens..on with learning to slash and be fearless!
3. SUBVERSIVE SEAMSTER----Melissa Alvarado, Hope Meng, Melissa Rannels:
Lots of great tips and techniques like adding shirt collars onto knit tops...thing I would never have thought possible....
My first Refashion happened before Christmas..I was DETERMINED to not buy anything new/retail for the annual dance...so I went to my local S.A. and found 1. a teen girls red plaid kilt, and 2. a homemade black crushed velour skirt--obviosly a project "gone wrong"--the total was $6.50.....I took them home and started fiddling around with the kilt. I'm obviously Not the same size as a Teen 14..so I unbuckled the kilt, swung it round so the opening was centre front, and took off the side buckle and moved the strap to the front. I then took asome cheapie black ruffled lace and sewed it from the centre of the waist down in a cascade on eother side. I wore the crushed velour skirt under it. I added a thrifted and altered black velour v-necked top, fishnet hose, and black suede shoes with gold buckles..and a punky/Goth chain necklace...At the dance I received many compliments on my "outfit"--proving you really don't have to spend big bucks to look and feel great!!

No comments:

SWAP COMPOSITE

SWAP COMPOSITE
all pieces minus purchased shirt